Monday, November 24, 2008

What did it all mean?

I read accounts of people who did the trail before me. All indicated that the trail was a life changing experience. Although, I don't think any were able to fully explain how the trail changed them.

I did the trail as a spiritual quest. I was hesitant to do the trail without a hiking partner for fear of being alone on the trail. I was concerned about the uncertainty of trail life. I had no idea if I would even make it out of Georgia. The physical demands of the trail were intense. I wanted to know what it was like to do a long journey by foot. Others were more interested in making this an extended camping trip, and, therefore, did the trail at a much slower pace. There was something about walking and hard traveling that I wanted to experience. By the end of the trail, I was very comfortable walking alone for days not knowing what was around the next bend.

I no longer worry much about the future. The trail taught me how little I really need to be happy. Little pleasures like listening to the rain on the roof is so much more intense now that I know what it’s like to walk hundreds of miles in the rain in ankle deep muck. I still often have very intense dreams about the trail. I suspect that even now three months after leaving the trail that I still do not fully understand all of the ways the trail has changed me.

No comments: