Monday, September 7, 2015

A Walk in the Woods


I, like many I knew on the trail, was inspired to hike the trail in part by Bill Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods.  This was the first book I read about the trail.  And while on the trail, I had many discussions with people about this book and the proposed making of a film based on the book.

While everyone I knew enjoyed the book, many questioned whether Bill Bryson was ever on the trail or whether Katz was a real person or a fictional character.  On the trail, there is nearly an infinite amount of time to discuss even the smallest details of what ever is being discussed, and this book was no different.  We would talk for hours and hours about whether that Katz was a real person or only a fictional character.  I have since read that Bill has released Stephan Katz real name so I think that debate has ended with Katz being a real person.

The reason many questioned Bill's trail experience was because he did not capture the thru hiking culture very well.  I don't even remember him discussing trail names.  However, his book was funny and had a lot of historical information about the trail. 

After many years in the making, A Walk in the Woods finally was released.  I went to see the film over the weekend.  I intentionally did not read any reviews or know anything about the film before seeing it.  I enjoyed it!

It was fun trying to recognize the different places along the trail. The day before Springer Mountain for me was at Hiker Hostel instead of the Amicalola Falls lodge.  Until I saw the movie, I never even knew of the lodge's existence.  Also, instead of do the 8 mile approach trail, the Hiker Hostel shuttle took us to within 0.9 miles of Springer Mountain.  I remember shuttle speeding along gravel roads at a high velocity with wheels skidding on the gravel.  I also remember that first mile of the trail that didn't actually count, and wondering what the rest of the 2,176 miles was going to be like.

It was also nice to see McAfee Knob without the fog.  The night before McAfee Knob, I arrived at Sarver's Hollow shelter a few minutes before dark to find myself alone, thirsty, and with a stagnant pool of water as the only water source.  I was looking forward to one of the most scenic views on the trail.  However, when I finally arrived at McAfee Knob, instead of being able to see tens of miles, I was only able to see tens of feet.  Looking at my photos this morning, the fog was still very beautiful. 

I also enjoyed seeing the bird's eye view of the trail in the film.  Much of the trail was in the "green tunnel" beneath the trees.  Only occasionally was the a break in the trees to see the views. 

I read some of the reviews after seeing the movie.  Several commented on Bob and Nick being too old for the parts, which I suppose is true.  There are many retired people on the trail, but few in the 70s and even fewer in the late 70s.  Many other reviewers commented on the lack of message about such things as the nature of masculinity in America today.  Yeah, I get that too.  The film could have gone in that direction.  However, I enjoyed the film for what it was, the misadventures of two old friends. 

ATC Link - A Walk in the Woods

No comments: