Friday, September 5, 2008

Trail Magic

I've been off the trail for nearly three weeks, and the one surprise is how quickly the trail magic ended. The kindness of strangers was possibly the most important part of the trail. I can not over state the appreciation I had for all of the kindness I experienced along the way. Just finding a cooler with cold sodas was an incredible experience, but people did so much more than that. I came to realize that there was no small kindness. Everything was meaningful and appreciated.


When I left the trail, I wanted to be the one giving trail magic. This is harder than you might think. It seems like there are very few opportunities to give. I talked to Jaime, the owner of the Millinocket hostel where I stayed during my last day, about trail magic. She thought that everyone wants to give. Trail magic was a way for people to give to others. She also thought that it was very important for us thru hikers to take trail magic. You have to put yourself in a vulnerable position to take what is offered, but Jaime thought that was important. I really agree with her.


So why is it so hard to continue to give in everyday life? We are surrounded by people, but at the same time often very isolated. I read a study comparing the number of friends people reported having in the 1970s compared to today. The results indicated that most people have significantly fewer friends today than a generation ago. I wonder if the technology is partly to blame. We have cable TV and the internet. I think its easier to turn on the tv or the internet than it is to talk to other people. However, neither tv or the internet allows people to develop close friendships.


I don't understand the lack of trail magic in ordinary life. It was such a wonderful connection to other people.

No comments: