Monday, February 25, 2008

Momma Bear's Thoughts

Well, I have to admit that I am excited and a bit worried at the same time. My 12-year-old daughter, Baby Bear, will be hitting the AT with my brother, Rabbit. This will be quite a challenge and an adventure at the same time. She is hoping to complete the first 100 miles of the trail with her uncle who is planning a thru trek this year.
.
I am not really worried about her keeping up with Rabbit's quick pace because we are a family of fast movers and I know she will push herself to keep up. But, Rabbit does have the advantage over Baby Bear with a leg ratio of about 3:2. So she will have to train on the treadmill according to his pace to compensate for the difference. She is currently working out at a pace of 4.1 miles per hour with an incline. Are there any veteran AT hikers who can offer some other suggestions? I want to make sure that Baby Bear is physically ready for the hike ahead.
.
Taking this hike will pose other challenges for Baby Bear. Although she enjoys wildlife, she really does not like snakes. It seems from the reading that I have done that snakes are not very active along the Georgia trail in early April. I pray that what I have read is true. Is there anyone who can give us some personal insight on the matter? I do not what to scare my Baby Bear out of taking this trip, but I feel that I have a responsibility to tell her the truth about what to expect.

1 comment:

Boomer said...

I'm impressed that Baby Bear is working out and on an incline. If her shoes are comfortable and sturdy my guess is she'll do just fine, especially if Rabbit can get the packs as light as he thinks.

I can't help you on the snake thing. It may be a case where it wouldn't be impossible for her to see one, but the odds are in favor that she won't.