Sunday, February 24, 2008

Squiggly Snake

My 13 year old niece is going to walk the first 12 days or so with me on the trail. Actually, Summer is not going to be 13 until couple days after she gets home.

Summer has a snake phobia so I thought that Squiggly Snake would be a good trail name for her. She seems to like her name, and also seems to be really looking forward to our trip. I told her that she needs to be able to run 5 miles at a time before we start our trip, and she's been working out very hard at the gym to get ready. She told me on Thursday that she can run 4 miles now. I want to make sure she is in good enough shape so that she will enjoy the trail without suffering too much. Being out of shape will take the fun out of the trail faster than anything else.

I also told Summer that she should try to learn a couple stories that she could tell around the campfire at night. I told her she should look for a good book of folk tales at the bookstore. I have a book of Coyote stories that she might like if she doesn't find anything else.

We need to get her a backpack, sleeping bag, and shoes this week. I really like Granite Gear's Vapor Trail pack. I see they make a similar one for women that I would like to have Summer try. We will also need to get her a down sleeping bag and ground pad. I don't think her pack should weigh more than about 15 pounds fully loaded, but that is just a guess on my part. We can see how her pack feels once she has everything, and I can carry some of her stuff if needed. Or she can carry some of my stuff if she is able and I am clever enough to trick her.

2 comments:

Boomer said...

I didn't care for Pippi Longstocking when I was young, but I loved her when I was older. I bet some of her tales would be good around the fire.

Joe said...

I just found my copy of Rootabaga stories last night. I thought I lent them out, and did not get them back.

The one story that I've been looking for years is a Polish story about a young man named Twardowski or at least Twardowski was the closest I could find on the internet. Twardowski was a trickster like Jack. The story I loved was about how he fell into hell, was forced to work for the devil, and escaped when he showed kindness to Judas.

Has anyone ever heard of Twardowski or of the above story? I would love to read it again.