Monday, February 25, 2008

Polish Folk Tale

I'm looking for a story I read in one of my folk tale collections about a young man whose name was Twardowski or something like that. I found lots of stuff on Pan Twardowski online so I think that was his name except Pan was a character in literature. I see no reference to folk tales. Twardowski in the story was a trickster like Jack.

The story I'm looking for was about Twardowski falling into hell and being forced to work for the devil. The devil put iron shoes on Twardowski so he could not escape. Judas was in a special place in hell, and Twardowski was ordered to beat Judas with an iron rod. If he failed to beat Judas, the devil was going to beat Twardowski. The story ended when Twardowski showed mercy to Judas, and Judas used his long finger nails to rip through the iron shoes that held Twardowski in hell.

I would love to read this story again, but I can not find it in any of my folk tale books. Has anyone ever heard of this story or know where I can find it?

No comments: