Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 125 - Monson, ME (August 11)






I'm staying at the Shaw's Boarding house in Monson. I camped with Pipper, Stripe, Forest Gimp, Memphis Tim, and Limeonaid last night at the Bald Mountain Brook lean-to. Memphis Tim, Limeonaid, and I seem to be slackers compared to the others. I think that is why we naturally started hiking together.


On the trail, you never really plan who you are going to hike with or have lunch with or camp with. You seem to just hang out with different people. Memphis Tim, Limeonaid, and I were all willing to give up our seats on a shuttle rather than fight with everyone else. Maybe its not surprising that we are hiking together.


I wrote early in the trip how very different people seem to get along very well on the trail. Sherpa and Low Impact are a great example. Sherpa was an older woman who is about to retire and Low Impact is a young man who recently graduated from college. They hiked together for hundreds of miles until Shepa had to go back to work. This has not changed the entire trip. The trail breaks down social barriers. You see and related to people based on their character rather than social expectations.


The trail was rather nice for a change. I suspect the Maine trail people don't have the money to relocated this section of the trail in a bog yet. Much of the trail ran along a very scenic stream.


We went over a mountain in the morning. The clouds were below us. A few mountain tops poked out above the clouds like islands in a sea. I took a lot of pictures. I hope some at least turned out well.


We heard of many people who are leaving the trail in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. We heard the Four Sisters who I never met but heard about left the trail 60 miles from Katahdin. I understand why they might have done this, and respect them for their decision. There is a time to get off the trail. A lot of things like your original trail expectations, your trail experience, trail conditions, and weather all determine that time. I'm probably staying on a little longer than I should.

No comments: