Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 130 - Katahdin Looms (August 16)




There is still some debate over whether we should go up Katahdin tomorrow or hike to the Birches campsite tomorrow and do Katahdin on Monday. However, that was not the main debate of the day. Everyone was more interested in discussing whether to pay the 10 dollars for a campsite and try to yogi 10 dollars in food or stealth camp for free.

I got to the private campground by Abol Bridge first, and asked for a campsite thinking all eight of us would split the cost. It turned out that they charge hikers 10 dollars per person, which I paid. Everyone else thought this was a rip off because the campground would be getting 80 dollars for one site.

I waited around for a while and then left to set up my tent. It turned out to be one of the best camp sites with a beautiful view of Katahdin. I also did not have to actively yogi anything. Food came my way in abundance. Later Pipper and Forest Gimp paid, and they too discovered the bounty of the campground.

The first course was a great big bowl of pasta with a single biscuit given by the lady to the right. The next course was salad given by Gene, the man in front. Gene also set up stuff so we can make coffee on his grill before we leave in the morning. I'm feeling so full that I can not eat another bite.

I'm getting up at 4:00 AM to hike the 10 miles to the base of Katahdin. I have to be there by 10:00 AM or the rangers will not let me on the mountain. This is supposed to be the toughest climb on the trail. I hear there are a lot of technical climbing.

Surprisingly, none of us are feeling much of anything right now. Tomorrow is just another day on the trail. I don't feel much anticipation. What anticipation I do feel is more related to getting to the mountain early enough and the actual climb itself. I'm hoping I will feel something when I'm at the top.

Regardless of what I feel, reaching the top is the end of a long strange journey. I will no longer know what it feels like to be on this thru hike. I met several former thru hikers on the trail, and I don't think we could relate to each other. They did not seem to understand our experience, and we could not imagine life off the trail. Reaching the top ends the journey. The quest will be over and in the past.

We talked this afternoon about what life will be like off the trail. I don't think any of us can really imagine that life. Sailboat said that before the trail, he thought a lot about what trail life would be like, but he could never really imagine it. He said he has been thinking about what life off the trail would be like, and can not really imagine it either. I think that is about as accurate of a statement as any that I'm feeling right now.

Sailboat is waiting for his sister from Texas this evening by Abol Bridge with Sage. There was no cell phone reception for days, and the pay phone at the camp store is broken. He does not know if she is coming today or tomorrow. Stripe, Pipi and Hamburgler, and Rino are stealth camping somewhere free.

Stripe stopped by our campsite to look at the map and make plans for tomorrow. The camp ground lady came by and told him he had to immediately leave the campgound. I'm sure she is not chasing everyone else's guests away, and Stripe spend a lot of money in the camp store today.

I better get some sleep now so I'm ready for the big climb tomorrow. If all goes well, I will be soaking in a tub in a motel in Millanocket tomorrow night.

No comments: