Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 126 - Hundred Mile Wilderness (August 12)






I'm finally in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. Although, I don't think its the same as it used to be. There are many logging roads through the Wilderness. I've heard there are people who will slack pack you through the entire wilderness. I also heard that it was expensive because you have to drive so far on logging roads.


I've always been interested in forests. I saw a sign earlier today showing the location of a 1949 / 1950 logging camp. I'm guessing this area was logged then. However, I see some large pine trees where I'm camping that are probably older than 60 years.


What seems to be missing from Maine is the forest diversity. It seems to be mostly a pine forest. I don't see any cedar or birch groves like there are in the Boundary Waters.


I got a late start from Shaw's Boarding House this morning. I got in too late to resupply at the grocery store last night. I was the last person served breakfast, and could not resupply before the shuttles to the trail left. I was fortunate to have someone drive me later.


I met Tiger Balm and Katahdin Kid at the store this morning. They were on the shuttle to Springer Mountain with Sonic and I. They also shared a trailer with Sonic and I at Cloud Nine hostile. They are a retired couple who were flip flopping the trail this year. It sounds like both are off because of injuries. It was nice seeing them.


They told me they read in a shelter register that Red Eyes was arrested for drugs in the Shanadoah, which is different than threatening people. Both might be true however. I'm sure Red Eyes would have had drugs on him at all times. If he were arrested for anything, he would also be arrested for drugs.


I met up with Stripe, Pipper, and Forest Gimp at the Long Pond Stream lean-to. I did not expect to see them today. Pipper and Forest Gimp seem too competitive for me. I would prefer they take the lead and do their thing so I can do my hike without distractions.


Rino and his dog are at the shelter too. Rino has brought no food for himself. He is only carrying food for his dog. He said he has fasted like this before. He also did the trail two years ago. None of us think fasting though the Wildeness is a good idea.


It is raining again. The trail was drying out and the stream levels were going down. This rain may make the streams dangerous to ford. I'm happy I only have 99 miles to go. I just hope the rain does not prevent me from getting through the Wilderness. At this point, I just want to be done.


The only reason I'm still on the trail now is because I'm currious about knowing what it will be like to actually see Katahdin getting closer and closer, and because I'm worried that I might regret leaving the trail in Maine. The first is a good reason to be here, and the second is not. I think I accomplished all I could have hoped for by early Maine. It was probably time to leave the trail then.

No comments: