Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 127 - Carl A Newhall Lean-to (August 13)





I feel physically drained. I don't know if I'm feeling burned out or if I'm physically sick. My energy level is as low as it was when I got sick after Damascus. However, most of us are feeling burned out.


I just have four more days on the trail before Katahdin. There are less than 80 miles to go. Tomorrow will be a physically demanding day, and then it will be nearly flat for 70 miles. The problem is I will be walking through about 55 miles of bogs. I just keep telling myself that my feet will be dry in just a few more days.


I hear that Pipi and Hamburgler as well as Sage and Sailboat are camping nearby. All four yellowblazed hundreds of miles. Forest Gimp skipped over a hundred miles. Nearly eveyone around me skipped large sections. There are few AT purists. Pipper and Cricket are purists. They are determined to see every white blaze. I'm just walking from Spinger Mountain, GA to Mount Katahdin, ME.


Rino is not doing too well. I think he realized that fasting through the wilderness was not a good idea.


I missed only a fraction of one percent of the AT. I blue or yellow blazed only when there were dangerous sections of the trail. The biggest section I missed was in the Sattleback Range when the rivers were not safe to ford. Cricket was the only one willing to wait for the rivers to recede, and I heard he waited at least four days. I never heard if he was able to cross the river, but I assume he did by now.


There were many dangerous sections of the trail I should have and would have skipped if I had known about the actual trail conditions. The landslide on Moody Mountain near Andover, ME was one section I should have skipped.


It at least did not rain today. There were a few fast river fords yesterday, but nothing dangerous today. I don't know what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: