Saturday, August 23, 2008

Home


It feels good to finally be home. I've been home the past few days. It was surprising how quickly I adjusted to life off the trail. While on the trail, I thought often about what life was going to be like off the trail. Now that life is routine.


I've been having very intense dreams about the trail every night. They are nothing more than dreams about being on the trail. They are some of the most enjoyable dreams I've ever had.

After nearly a week off the trail, my feet still hurt when I get up in the morning. Although, the shooting pains have lessened, and the pain in my knees has gone away. I hear from people who have been off the trail that it takes about four weeks for all of the pains to go away. The physical demands of the trail are intense. Everyone has significant pain especially near the end of the trail.

I still have some loss of feeling in my feet and toes. Everyone loss feeling in some part of their feet by the end of the trail. I haven't noticed that any feeling has returned yet. I hear that it can take months for the feeling to come back.

My hunger subsided rather quickly. I was eating about 6,000 calories a day while on the trail. It only took a couple days for me to lose that hunger.

I go back to work tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, and I'm looking forward to working again.

No comments: