Saturday, March 15, 2008

Looking for High Calorie One Pot Receipes

I need some good receipes for stuff I can make in one pot within 10 minutes of boiling. Fuel is weight so I'm not going to bring any extra fuel for stuff that needs to be simmered a long time. Someone suggested making speggetti using powdered tomatoe soup mix. That actually sounds great.

One of my favorite boundary waters meals is soup over mashed potatoes. I can probably pour off some hot water for the mashed patatoes before making a soup mix. I can probably also substitute other kinds of dried potatoe mixes for mashed potatoes.

Powdered milk is another good backpacking food. I'm sure it will work well with cerial, but what else can I do with it? There has to be a lot of creamy sauces that I can make with pasta.

What type of bean needs the least amount of cook time? Someone suggested that I could soak beans during the day, and they will cook quickly for dinner. Has anyone ever tried this?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Joe,
re: beans - I think you want to go lentils. As far as I know, they're the quickest cooking beans out there. Soaking will speed the cooking time. Other beans will take 1-2 hrs of cooking after soaking.
Also, my brother had some dried-pre-cooked refried beans from work. These required pouring boiling water over them and letting them sit for a minute or 2. If you can find these, they'd be great. If you have a SYSCO store, you could check to see if they have them. They come in a large white plastic bag.

Boomer said...

good idea, willy. i was fond of the dried refrieds when camping. we were using black bean variety found in food co-ops and the like.

Joe said...

Dried black beans are perfect. I see the mix in most grocery stores. Add some cheese and burrito wraps, and you have a great meal.

I just saw a calorie chart based on per pound of food. I was surprised at how many calories oatmeal had per pound. It turns out that oatmeal is a pretty good food to bring.

Keep those ideas coming! I need as many different receipes as possible.