Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pack Weight

I put everything in my pack this morning. It looks like the final weight without food or water will be between 17 and 18 pounds. I think I can lose a little weight by taking less fuel in a lighter bottle, by getting a lighter ground pad, and by getting lighter water bottles. If I do these things, I might be able to get the weight down to between 15 and 16 pounds. I can't see what else I can do to lose weight. My tent is incredibly small, and barely fits me.

My fuel bottle weighs about 1.2 pounds as near as I can tell. I could probably reduce that weight by half by taking less fuel. I can see how fast I'm using fuel on the trail, and make adjustments as needed.

My biggest weight savings could be found in changing my thermorest sleeping pad. Its very old, and as near as I can tell, it could weigh close to 3 pounds. Because I will be sleeping a third of the day, I want something that is comfortable. I will accept an extra pound or two if I can sleep better. I need to check the weight of new thermorest matresses. New materials might have resulted in less weight.

I also see that I need to buy a new tent for the first week and a half while Baby Bear is with me. There is no way we can both fit into my tent.

2 comments:

Fred said...

Did you consider including a battery-free flashlight? These should be fairly light. Also, a hand-crank power source so that you can recharge a cell-phone. This may be essential if you are holed up somewhere and can't get to someplace with electricity.

Joe said...

Fred,

Why don't you show up as a member of the blog? Did you sign up as a blogger?

Joe