Friday, March 28, 2008

Vital Statistics for Office Pool

The following are the vital statistics that Ray Banary requested for the office pool. My coworkers are taking bets on how far I will go on what they have called the "Appalachian Death March."
  • Pack weight: ~ 17 pounds without food and water / ~ 30 to 32 pounds max weight
  • Estimated distance per week: ~ 110 miles or 15.7 miles per day assuming no days off the trail.
  • Tent: 2 pound solo tent
  • Shoes: Keen size 13 low top gortex with Teva sandals for stream crossing and wearing at camp. I will bring three pairs of treking smart wool socks.
  • Food: I have not yet weighed my food. I will have oatmeal and tea in the morning, plenty of trail mix, snickers, bagels and peanut butter, and roman noodles during the day and at lunch, and Bear Creek soup mixes (~1,500 calories @ 11 ounces), mac and cheese, bean burritos, and vegitarian chili and stuff like that for dinner. All of this stuff you can get at Giant Eagle, and I hope to find at other grociery stores.
  • Water: I have two quart bottles for water. I will use either a water filter or water purification tablets.
  • My Height & Weight: 6'3" at ~ 189 pounds (been trying to bulk up before the trip on a beer diet)
  • Hiking Experience: Moderate +. I do at least one fairly long distance canoeing trip per year with a total distance of 60 to 100 miles by canoe and portages trail (~20 to 50 portages ranging from a few feet to a mile + in distance). I've done several 5 to 7 day long hiking trips at a total distance of 50 to 80 miles.
  • Physical Condition: I can comfortably run 5 miles in 37 minutes, and have been running up to 10 miles at one time. I have done no hiking with my pack, and expect the first week or two to be slow.

Joe

2 comments:

Baby Bear's Momma Bear said...

Can family get in on the Appalachian Death March office pool?

Ben said...

I bet you'll make it through the death march....what's the line??