Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 54 - James River & Trail Magic (June 1)


This was a good day for trail magic. Someone left oranges near a road about 5 miles from Thunder Hill shelter. Jet Ski and I stopped to snack never seeing the cooler filled with coke and beers. As soon as I had my pack on, I saw the cooler. The coke tasted great. I drank no beers. I knew beers would only make me nap

I'm at Punch Bowl shelter tonight. Someone drove in on an ATV along an old forest service road with 2 twelve packs of beer. After walking 25 miles today with a 2,000 and a 1,000 foot inclines at the end, the beers tasted great.


There was a monument to Ottie Cline Powel at the top of the last mountain. Ottie was not quite 5 years old in 1891 when he got lost from his school 7 miles away. His body was found at the top of a very steep mountain. He apparently was lost while the class was out looking for firewood.

I saw the James River for the very first time today. It was bigger than I imagined. We walked over a foot bridge over the river.

There are three kids who might be about 20 years old at the shelter tonight. They are Brian, Mitch, and Chuck. Chuck is a girl with long blue hair with the sides shaved. They said they were going to start the trail sooner, but Mitch got ticketed for sitting on a sidewalk in New Orleans, and he had to wait for his court date to pay his fine. They started the trail in Daleville. Something is not right about their story. Slightly was questioning them further because he too did not believe their story.

Also here is Slightly who I met at the murder shelter and Baracus who I met for the first time tonight. He had some Jim Beam he was sharing.

There is a pond near the shelter. The spring peepers are singing tonight. I love sleeping to the song of the peepers.

I have no phone or internet service tonight. I will post when I can.

No comments: