Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 60 - Nearoing in the Shanandoah (June 7)


I've been with CC Rider, Hare, Neon, and Buckeye all day. They were camping at the YMCA last night. I first met them at lunch at the Dutch Haus. They rented a car to see Indiana Jones last night, which they said was OK at best.

They were only going to do a 7 mile day today. I thought it might be best not to push the miles yet so I decided to hike with them. My foot is still hurting, but its much better now.

We had breakfast at Weissy's Kitchen, and met a few other hikers there. Then I mailed home a copy of today's newspaper with my brief interview.

We strarted the Shanandoah at about 1:30 PM, and just went to the first shelter. I decided not to aqua blaze with Canabal. After looking at the river, I'm not sure they will be able to paddle it in Walmart rafts.

1 comment:

pbowyer said...

Joe/Rabbit....

Its not looking to good for me to meet you to aquablaze from Front Royal this week....Just found out I have a USACE vist on Thurs morning that we have been waiting almost 6 months to schedule, thus I must be here for that....
I can take off Friday (or even half day thursday also)....but where will you be by Friday? Past Front Royal?
Also, I have some info on the River from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry....in a word, this in not the greatest paddle river by a long shot, there is no public land in that 40 mile strech, thus the only camping possible/allowed is on a few small islands in the river (kind of dont ask dont tell)....the river is quite flat in this section and flows almost entirely through farm lands. The Outfitter that rents canoes from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry is: River & Trail Outfitters, Harpers Ferry, 888 446 7529. In general, the Shen is not such a good tripping river (compared to Clarion, Pine, Greenbriar, Grand etc..). The the 150 miles of river from Waynesborough to Harpers Ferry, there is only one 8-mile strech of river that passes through public land (NF land)....all the rest is farm land where camping is at-you-own-risk (i.e. not leagal)...There is one or possible two commercial "campgrouds" somewhere along the way

PB