Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 77 - Port Clinton (June 24)

There was an incredible thunderstorm last night. I was tenting near the 501 shelter. The wind was so strong that I decided to pack up and sleep in the shelter. I could not see if there were any large branches that could come down. A small branch fell on my tent.

PA is known for rocks. That is all everyone talked about until we got here. While there are a lot of rocks, its nothing we have not seen before. There is just a little more of them. They really hurt before, and they really hurt now. I'm getting a blister on the bottom of my right foot. For as thick as my callouses are, I did not think this was possible. I thought that my foot was bruised, and did nothing for too long. I think I'm going to be ok, its just going to be another painful few days while my foot heals. I'm sure getting used to pain and pain management.

I'm going to be staying at the Port Clinton pavilion tonight. I stopped at the local outfitter on my way into town for a pint of ice cream when Hotwheels and Shutterbug came in. They wanted a ride into town for a resupply and dinner. They had two others waiting. I throw in a few dollars and went for a ride with them. I'm writing from the Pizza Hut.

I think I have enough supplies to get me to the Delaware Water Gap on the northern PA boarder. Its just another 75 miles and I will be out of PA.

Speaking of miles, I just crossed the 1,200 mile mark. This just doesn't seem that far. I have less than a 1,000 miles to go. It will be a spiritual exercise not thinking about miles to go. I am looking forward to the northeast. I've seen PA before. The scenery is not that great, but its still a pretty state.

1 comment:

Tadpole said...

Anyone know where I can get candles in bulk for my cake (I'm gonna need a lot of them). Maybe I'll do one cupcake/cookie per mile...