Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 78 - Rocks (June 25)

I got a very late start from Port Clinton. I went to breakfast at the 3C, and met a few hikers there. I heard them talking about how much they want to shake Nona. She is a slow walker, but shows up randomly far ahead of where she should be.
I did not get to the Allentown Hiking Club shelter until after 8:30 PM. The rocks and climb down to a very slow spring slowed me down. I was thinking that I could just hike with a headlamp. I'm glad I did not need one. I set my tent up about a hundred yards from the shelter with the last daylight. After I cooked and ate, I had a real hard time finding my tent. I don't think I could have followed the trail over all of the rocks. What would have made it even harder was the white colored material that was put on many of the trees. This stuff looks like blazes.
My feet really hurt today, but I don't think I've done any more damage. I just need to keep taping them for the next few days until they start to heal.
If you think of the trail as something you have to finish, then it is one of the most difficult endurance events you can do. It would be much harder than running over a hundred marathon races with only a day off every other week or so. There is always some form of pain to deal with. I foolishly did not take care of my feet yesterday, and I will be feeling the pain for days. I
I'm generally pretty ok with most of the pain. I wanted to know what it was like to do a long distance hiking trip. I expected pain, cold, heat, bugs, good weather and fair skys. The pain is just part of the experience as is everything else. It is not necessarily something that can or should be avoided.

No comments: