Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 65 - Rod Hallow Shelter (June 12)


There are definitely more section hikers on the trail now than ever before. There is a comradery between thru hikers that is not there with section hikers. The section hikers used to ignore us and camp by themselves. Now, they mix in more easily most likely because there are fewer thru hikers.

I did a 29 mile day to get here from Tom Floyd shelter. The terrain is much easier. However, my pack is deforming, which is causing severe muscle strain in my shoulders.

I think the roller coaster is coming up tomorrow. I've been hearing about this section since I started the trail. I have a relatively short 10 mile day into Bear Den hostile. It should not be too tough of a day.

I met three fanatical ultra light guys today. They did a 60 mile day to get into Pass Mountain shelter when I was there. They did not get in until 3:30 AM. One started the trail on May 5th. The other two in late April. One is getting off the trail in Harpers Ferry. Another is taking a few days off to catch a train home to NY.

I'm looking forward to Bear Den hostile tomorrow. The relatively short day will feel good.

I'm less than 20 miles from the 1,000 mile mark. This distance still does not feel like a lot.

No comments: