Thursday, June 12, 2008

Virginia / West Virginia Boarder

I've been walking through Virginia for over a month. Virginia has very long valleys that look well suited for agriculture.

I went to school in West Virginia, and I do not remember such long valleys. Virginia and West Virginia split during the Civil War.
Does anyone know why the boundary was drawn were it is? My guess is the boundary is based on geology. My guess is West Virginia was more suited for small farms and Virginia was more suited for plantations.

Understanding the reason these states divided might help understand what the Civil War was all about. I never understood why a small farmer would support slavery. This would kind of be like a family farmer today supporting the use of minimum wage workers imported from other countries. This will only devalue your labor.

No comments: