Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 73 - Boiling SpringsCampsites (June 20)


I have absolutely no idea where I am tonight. I know I did about 30 miles to get to the camp site outside Boiling Springs, PA. However, I have no idea where the trail is. I was walking through agricultural fields. There were few white blazes. I knew the campsite was near rail road tracks. I found the rail road tracks, but did not know which direction to go. I saw someone walking in a field and decided to try left. I found the campsite.

There were two tents set up here, but no one was around. Mo and David came by shortly after I set up my tent. I was still physically recovering from the walk and had not yet entered my tent when they arrived. They gave me some water which saved me a 0.4 mile walk to the ATC office. The ATC office is supposed to have an outdoor spigot.

The Pine Creek Furnace state park was interesting. It was a 10 mile walk from the shelter. The camp store had the first half gallon ice cream challenge. I eat for pleasure and calories so I had no desire to do the challenge. I had two pints of vanilla ice cream, which was enough for me. Timeless ate a half gallon. Vashon just had a couple pints like me.

The trail was a scramble the second half of the day. It went back and forth over the ridge top. I had to do some rock climbing with a full pack and hiking poles. It would have been an easy climb without the pack. I think if trail clubs want to take the trail over ridges like that, then each member should have to hike that section with a full pack in the rain after already hiking 20 miles.

I've been through many areas with iron furnaces or charcoal production. Both were common activities in the production of iron in the Appalachians before trains. Iron was made near the source of iron ore and charcoal. Pine Creek Furnace had a great description of the process. Maybe Paul can post a description of the process.

The Gypsy moth has deleafed large areas of the forest I'm walking through. I thought the destruction was getting worse in PA, but I think its just later in the year. Many trees are completely deleafed. Maybe Paul or Boomer can post a gypsy moth update. I would like to know what their current status is.

No comments: