Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 56 - Nearoing at Dutch Haus (June 3)


I've been hiking with Jet Ski the last few days. Jet Ski is a section hikers from New Orleans. We did about 11 miles today from Hog Pen Gap to the Fish Hatchery Road. Then it was a mile down to the pick up point.

Dutch Haus has a well deserved reputation for hospitality on the trail. It is run by Lois and Earl. They made a wonderful lunch and dinner. Their lunches bring thru hikers off the trail. Five thru hikers came in just for lunch. Jet Ski, Red, V8, Auntie Mame, South Paw, and South Paw's girl friend are here tonight.

V8 and Auntie Mame are twin sisters in their late 50s or early 60s. One of their husbands did a through hike last year.

It felt good to get a shower tonight and do laundary. I'm sitting on the front porch of the Dutch Haus in a bathrobe as I write waiting for my clothes to dry.

I talked to Thought Foot a couple days ago when I had phone service He said his leg is feeling better and he was going to try to be back on the trail this week. He also said Red Eyes is staying at the same hostile, but is no talking to anyone.

Two more days to Waynesboro. I will try to rent a canoe to get med through the Shanandoh Valley. It should be an interesting trip.

It feels strange walking in bare feet. I lost a lot of feeling in my toes. This is a very common problem that lots of people on the trail have.

No comments: