Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 61 - Pine Field Hut (June 8)


I did a 26 mile day today to get to Pine Field shelter. Torch is here really creeping out a couple of young ladies (Tex and L.I.). I waited over an hour for someone else to come in, but no one showed up so I decided to stay.

Torch got a ride from a ranger this morning. He said they ran his ID so I don't think he is wanted on anything. He's been telling people about wanting to hurt people, but he says he hurts himself instead. His left arm has dozens of scars from what looks like a razor or knife. Torch is the only person on the trail that makes me nervous.

Torch seems to have a problem with planning and impulse control. He left most of his gear a couple hundred miles back, and had to buy new gear so he is completely broke. He also bought a small cooler and ice for his pepsi. Now he has no money until Friday. This morning, he apparently forgot to take water. It was a good thing the rangers stopped by and gave him a ride.

We built a fire and had an interesting and disturbing conversation with Torch. He said his mother died when he was 7, and he was in foster care for years after. He also said he was homeless for 10 years, and only recently started getting a government mental disability check. His disability seems to be impulse control. He is really struggling not to hurt people who make him angry. What is even more disturbing is that he likes to watch movies where college kids are tortured and killed. He is hypersensitive so just about anything could make him angry. My guess is he is a real danger.

I went by a couple overlooks along Skyline drive. People would take a quick look without getting out of their car. I'm so glad I'm walking. I'm fully experiencing my surroundings.

The terrain is very easy here. It was easy to do 26 miles. I started at 5:40 AM. I'm going to try for 30 miles tomorrow to get to Big Meadows campground and cold beers. I think I will be in Harpers Ferry by the end of the week.

No comments: