Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Day 15 - The Smokies Loom in the Shadows (April 23)


Its been a tough couple days. The terrain is really rough. The trail goes straight up and straight down the sides of mountains. No longer is there much use of switch backs. We will often climb at nearly a 45 degree angle up several hundred feet, walk on flat ground for a few feet, and then climb down at a 45 degree angle. The downs are tearing up my feet and knees.

Each trail club seems to have a different philosophy on trails. Some like switchbacks and others don't. Switchbacks make the trail accessible for everyone. We are all in great shape, and the straight ups and downs are killing us. Even veteran thru hikers are complaining.

I am totally out of the service area for my phone, and I suspect that I will be out of the service area through the Smokies. This might be the last post until near Hot Springs. I need to buy a calling card so I can make calls to Heather. I'll be visiting the general store in a few minutes.

Road Rash is off the trail. He developed a foot problem yesterday, and hitched a ride into town. Thought Foot and I are hoping to meet up with him today. The problem is none of our phones are working. We also met up with Red Eyes, Stranger, Shamrock (formerly Shan from WY), Bandanna (formerly Hanna), and Beaker. We were hoping to see Doc someplace in town. I left a note for others as to where Thought Foot and I will be tonight and when we are planning on going to the Smokies.

We camped last night at Cable Gap. We are planning on being at the Fontana Dam shelter tonight.

We are noticing a lot fewer hikers. There was about 20 hikers per shelter when we started two weeks ago. Last night Thought Foot and I camped alone. The night before it was Thought Foot, Road Rash, and I. Thought Foot said he heard 75% of the hikers leave the trail before the first two weeks. It could also be that hikers travel in packs like cars, and we are between packs.

We talked to Farrel and Green T last night. Both hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, and Farrel hiked the AT in 2003. Farrel was saying the AT is significantly harder than the PCT. The PCT is graded so you do not have the ups and downs of the AT. Green T was losing all of her toe nails due to the rough terrain.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get through the Smokies. Red Eyes and Shamrock say it will take seven full days. Thought Foot and I were thinking we can do it in five days and four nights. Those would be 15 mile days. The extra two days will add significant weight to our packs. I'm going to plan on seven days and try to make it faster. I might not be posting again until after the Smokies.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi rabbit i can wait to see you.
sonic i cant wait for your birthday a big 13.

love your neice and coisen,
nicole vogel

Hotdogs said...

Hi Nicole! I think we should have a big ol party for Joe when he returns. Will you and Sonic help me decorate and plan the event? When does Sonic turn 13?

Hotdogs said...

Who is Shamrock? And does he or she see rainbows everywhere? Does this person walk with a Shillelagh? Do they eat lucky charms? Do they look like one of my rellies?

Anonymous said...

hotdog my coisen turns 13 april28, 2008
love,nicole

Anonymous said...

yesi would

Tadpole said...

I could make a cake or cookies...

Hotdogs said...

Great Nicole and Yes Tadpole! I think all the guys attending should wear fake beards and long hair as if they were on the trail. And we should all find our oldest most worn out shoes. Basically the "look what the cat dragged in look". Tadpole we should make some sort of bug dessert, since Joe is supposed to be living off the land so to speak.
Oh, and serve home made mouse loaf.

Tadpole said...

I wonder how I could make a cake look like an ant? Maybe I'll have to look for ideas...

Anonymous said...

that would be awsome to make an ant cake

nicole vogel

Tadpole said...

Maybe a cockroach cake would be appetizing...