Monday, April 14, 2008

Tough Day in Snow

I'm so happy that we are both alive and well this evening. Last night was below freezing with winds. I was fine most of the night wearing my thermo underwear. Sonic was getting cold toward morning. Her sleeping bag is rated for 25 or 30F, but you don't know how well a sleeping bag will work until you try it in the cold. I gave her my fleece jacket during the night.

It was very cold and windy all day. All of us except Shan slept in.

I've been unable to get Sonic to eat much. She lost 7 pounds by Neels Gap. I kept expecting her hunger to kick in, but it hasn't. I was really becoming worried about her on the trail.

I think my mistake was trying to make good nutrianal hot meals every day. She will only pick at them. What I should have done is to have brought more snickers and m&ms. I bummed candy bars from Thought Foot and Red Eyes.

I finally got her to eat this evening. We just finished cooking pizzas. I have some pop tarts and stuff for burritos in the morning. I'm going to do a zero day tomorrow until I can get Sonic to eat more.

We did not get back from the shuttle ride to the grocery store until late.

1 comment:

Boomer said...

Appetite's a funny thing. You'd think burning all those calories plus the cold would make a person ravenous. Then again, I eat the most when I'm just sitting around.