Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sad Day

Its a very sad day today. I miss Sonic already, and my sister and Rocky. Their stay was too short. Unicorn and Pegases were already asking about Sonic. They were surprised that she was only 12 years old. They said it seemed like she was really having fun, and they were wondering if she would be coming back.

I especially miss Heather. Its hard being on the trail alone. It would have been nice if Heather could have joined me. However, she has a job that would not be waiting for her when she left the trail.

I've also been thinking a lot about my dad today. I doubt that I will ever see him alive again. He made some poor choices over the years in so many ways. Now he is suffering the consequences.

The trail has been good. I told Sonic that we do not go on vacations, we go on ordeals. This really is true about the trail. Its an adventure of a lifetime, and way more than that too.

Life is so simple on the trail. I eat, walk, have breakfast number 2, walk, have lunch, walk, have lunch number 2, walk, set up camp, eat, and sleep.

There is plenty of time to think. I tend to just let my mind wonder as I look at the paterns of leaves or trees or mountains. Most of the time I don't even think. It feels good.

Its hard to explain how the trail is already effecting me. There is something about the simplicity that is changing the way I think. Its good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this descriptive post about what you are thinking while on the trail...I can't really imagine what goes through your mind....are you always just focused on your next shelter...or does your mind have time to adsorb your surrondings?, think about other things?

I can imagine now that Sonic is gone that it will be very lonely at times...and afer a while, that may not be such a good thing...However, I know that Heather, your family, me, and probably most of the others are anxiously checking the web 5+ times a day to see your next post....so your not totally alone....

Paul

Anonymous said...

I agree - We certainly are checking the web 5+ times a day. We can't wait until the next day & more pictures & the next day & more pictures.

The Vogel Family