Saturday, April 26, 2008

Day 17 - Greetings from TN (April 25)



We have been in and out of TN since we left Fontana Dam, but we did not know it. There were no signs.
We started at Spence Field and walked a leisurely 14 miles to Double Spring Gap shelter. It was a beautiful day with some rain in the afternoon.

The shelter was one of the most mice infested I've seen. I had mice crawling over me during the nigbt. I had to pull my sleeping bag over my head so I could not feel them. They chewed through Thought Foot's pack. He spent about an hour sewing this morning.

Red Eye is losing it. He is becoming more and more unstable. He is smoking dupe all day and doing something else that makes him stagger. He may be a manic depressive. Although, that is just a guess. I've never seen him in any way depressed.

He was telling me about a good water source because it came out of a pipe. What he failed to notice was the other end of the pipe was in a stagnant pool. We are guessing he will be hurt or sick on the trail somewhere. Its like watching a trail wreck. I think we are going to try to put some distance between us soon.

Also with us last night was Doc and Shamrock.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll be able to make an excusion to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood!

Baby Bear's Momma Bear said...

Rabbit, could you sleep in your tent to avoid the mice?

Joe said...

There is no tent camping in the Smokies unless a shelter is completely filled.