Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 102 - Thunderstorms (July 19)


I got soaked this afternoon. The sound of thunder was rolling across the sky. It was really cool, but a little scarey too. I had a really steep mountain to climb and several miles before the next shelter. I made it without any trouble.

None of my stuff will be dry tomorrow, which means I will be walking in wet shoes.

I'm at the Stoney Brook shelter with a new group of hikers. Pipi and Hambergler, Dartman, Mountain Sailor, Willy Boy and his brother in law, Len, who is with him for the week, and a guy with a Just Josh n one side and Stupid Sucks on the other.

I should be in Hanover, NH on Monday. Its going to be another expensive day at the outfitter. My shoes need to be replaced again, and my rain jacket is leaking. I keep thinking I'm almost done so why worry about this stuff, but its only on the AT that you can think you are almost done with 475 miles to go. I probably have about 4 weeks left on the trail.

I should be in the Whites on Thursday. I hear they are both beautiful and difficult. The AMC huts will be very expensive. I need to find other options. They want 90 dollars to stay at a shelter. The shelters are lodges for rich people. This makes it very difficult and expensive for thru hikers.

A section hiker was talking about running marathons. I asked him about distances people run to train for a marathon. He said that the professional athletes might run about 120 miles per week. I do more distance than this while wearing a pack and walking on extremely rugged terrain.

2 comments:

Boomer said...

"its only on the AT that you can think you are almost done with 475 miles to go"

very funny. You are at the part of the trail I most wanted to see, yet I am down here dodging thunderstorms in Florida. Hike on brother Rabbit!

Joe said...

You would love this part of the trail. You can both hike and rock climb at the same time.