Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 103 - More Rain (July 20)

It poured rain all day today. Everything I have is wet. My pack cover is no longer water proof. Everyone in the shelter say their pack covers leaked too. The water also leaked through my water proof pack liner too.

The terrain today was unexpectedly hard. My pace was very slow. I could not figure out why I was going so slow until I got to the shelter and everyone wanted to know if I had as hard of a day as they did.

I'm at the Thistle Hill shelter. Mountain Sailor, Frog, and Piper are here. Piper is yelling into his cell phone next to me. I met Frog in Virginia. I hear he is a yellow blazer and can show up anywhere on the trail. He thinks he broke his toe, and can not walk far. We all gave Frog some food to hold him over. I met Mountain Sailor at the shelter last niight. We are planning on splitting the cost of a motel room tomorrow.

There were a group of ladies staying in the shelter who offered to tent when Piper and Mountain Sailor arrived.

I hiiked with Hamburgler and Pipi in the morning. We met Willy Boy and Len at the last shelter. We all went to a farmers market off the trail. Hamburgler was wet and had the chills and Willy Boy did not want to hike in the rain. When I left, they were trying to get 100 dallar a night B&B rooms. I did not want to spend that much to get out of the rain.

My down sleeping bag is damp. I'm hoping there is enough fluff left to keep me warm.

4 comments:

pbowyer said...

Have you heard any more from thoughfoot?? I wander were he is....its interseting because he was the only person that seemed he could keep up with you....for a while anyway.....

how many shoes have you gone through so far???



PB

pbowyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
preston said...

Wow Joe, I can{t believe you are all the way up there. I havent caught your blog in a while...since Harpers Ferry. I recorded the latest to read at home(The internet is still 18 miles away from us) It seems like you summer is ending, but it feels like we have a lot of winter left down here. :)

Joe said...

Paul,

Thought Foot is about three weeks behind me. I last heard from him when he was at the Delaware Water Gap.

I'm on my fourth pair of shoes. I'm hoping this pair lasts through Maine.

Rabbit