Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 112 - The Presidential Range (July 29)

This was one of the hardest days of the entire trip. I left Lake in the Clouds hut about 6:00 AM. The hut people failed to tell me nothing would be open on Mount Washington until 8:00 AM. It was very cold with 46 mph winds and gusts to 55 mph. Visibility was very poor. A worker saw me outside and let me sit inside until they opened.

Weather conditions felt really dangerous, but the park people said it was not dangerous. People were walking between huts. I considered blue blazing a short cut trail that dropped in elevation quickly. that was actually probably what I should have done. I would never be hiking in this weather if I could help it. The trail forces us to do some moderately dangerous stuff so often that I just hate to increase my risk level at any time.

The wind was so strong when I went over Mount Madison that I had to walk on my hands and feet like a crab just to not be blown over. After that, I really struggled just walking until I got below tree line. I was walking on sharp large rocks, and the wind gusts kept pushing me off balance. It was really scary.

The AMC is really earning their name as the Appalachian Money Club tonight. I'm in Pickham Notch where they run another hut. There is no work for stay and a bunk costs $57 without meals. I'm stealth camping in some nearby woods. The AMC pretends to be hiker friendly with the pack room and showers, but showers cost $0.25 per 0.75 minutes. I declined the shower.

I hiked with 3 young college kids this afternoon. One had an international studies degree with a specialty in Africa. I enjoyed our conversation.

1 comment:

Tadpole said...

For $57 a free shower should be included.