Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 114 - Rewriting Posts at the Library (July 31)


I made it to Gorham today, and got my first ride by hitching. The second car stopped after I put my thumb out. Chris was the driver. He said he works as a private driving instructor. I think he actually teaches people how to drive backward very fast, slam on the breaks, and spin your car around. We only had a few minutes to talk before we arrived in Gorham.

I'm at the library retyping my posts. My internet connection for my phone is not working. I'm going to call Altel later today.

I did a resupply, and got some stuff at the outfitter. I have most of my stuff done, and will enjoy relaxing with some cold beers tonight.

I met the General and Jukebox at the coffee shop this morning. The General is from the UK, and has already hiked the trail in 2004. He said that within three months of returning from the trail, he knew he had to do it again. His thought on NH and Maine is that it is no more physically difficult than the Southern Mountains. He might be right. The one difference is that they are far more dangerous, but the entire trail has really dangerous stuff.

I should finally be in Maine tomorrow. I want to do the Mahoosuc Notch on Saturday. That section is supposed to be the hardest mile of the entire trail.

I met Jaybird at the hostile this afternoon. I did not talk to him long. I hear that he claims to have done the trail multiple times, but most people do not believe him. I hear he is a yellow blazer who most likely has only done parts of the trail before, but most likely has reported to the ATC that he did those parts as complete thru hikes.

No comments: