Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 90 - Zeroing in Kent (July 7)

I went back into Kent to do laundry and go to the local outfitter. I did my laundry with RJ who was at the shelter last night. RJ and I then did lunch. I then stopped for 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream on the way to the outfitter, and met Getty-Up there.

The rain fly of my tent is leaking. The outfitter had a water proofing spray that needs to air dry for 72 hours before folding and one that needs an hour in the dryer. I chose the one that needs an hour in the dryer.

I met Dan aka Day Hiker at the laundry mat. Dan is in his 60s I would guess. He was on the shuttle to Springer with Sonic and I. He said he skipped about a 500 mile section of the trail. He is hiking with Alf from Australia. The three of us decided to get a 136 dollar motel room, drink beers, and zero.

It feels good to zero. I have not had time to just sit out and enjoy a few good beers. I bought a six pack of Guiness that I'm sipping as I write. Alf is drinking Budweiser, which he thinks is a good beer. I want calories tonight, and can think of nothing better than Guiness. I will go back to the bar for 30 cent chicken wings tonight.

I'm not sure how much weight I can lose before I lose my strength. Even other hikers say I'm looking like a heroin addict. There are few of us averaging over 20 miles per day. I think that with the mileage I'm doing, there is no way not to look like a heroin addict. I can look at someone and tell if they are doing lots of miles per day.

My feet really hurt. I have new shoes, which should help. They really cushion the ground. I normally take a size 12. I started the trail with size 13 so that I could wear thick socks. It only took until the Snokies before those shoes were too small and I needed thinner socks. I'm now between a 13 and a 14. My new shoes are a 13, but they feel a little tight. I'm hoping they break in. Otherwise, I will need to buy another pair soon. I read about people's feet getting larger on the trail. It will take a few months after the trail for feet to return to their normal size.

I also lost a lot of feeling in my toes and feet. I read that this too is common. Many other people on the trail say they have the same problem. The feeling is supposed to return to normal after a few months off the trail.

Kent is a nice town to zero. We are sitting on the porch drinking beers and watching the town while discussing shoes and foot problems. This is a common topic of discussion on the trail. I can't believe there have been people who have done the trail barefoot.

The following pictures have been added by Heather and may or may not be places that Joe has seen.

No comments: