Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 113 - Out of the Whites (July 30)




I'm very happy to be out of the Whites, but I know I have more than a hundred miles of trail just as difficult and dangerous remaining. The ups and downs are physically demanding, but its the danger that I really dislike.

I consider hiking an activity that requires the use of your legs and maybe hiking poles to assist. I consider rock climbing to be an activity that requires the use of both legs and both hands, and involves heights great enough to injure if you fall. There are many portions of the trail that require rock climbing. The climbs would be easy without a pack, poles dangling from wrists, and wet surfaces. However, with these things, the trail is very dangerous.

I often feel mentally exhausted during the day while trying to make my way though these dangerous portions of the trail. This is just one of the mental aspects of the trail.

I did a very hard 19 miles to get to Rattle River shelter where I am tonight. It was only another 2 miles to the road to Gorham, but the way into Gorham would have required hitch hiking. It was too late for hitching.

I'm in the shelter by myself. I've not seen any Northbounders for a few days. It would be nice to have someone to hike with through some of the dangerous sections of the trail. If I am injured on the trail, I could have many hours before someone happens by. That is another thing that is wearing on me mentally.

No comments: