Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 107 - Glencliff NH (July 24)

I made it to the Hikers Welcome hostile in Glencliff, NH this morning. Its been raining for the last few days. I've been hiking with Mountain Sailor the last few days. I have no phone service, and it seems unlikely that I will have phone service before Gorham, NH. I will post my daily updates when I have phone service.

We decided to nero and rest for the big climbs in the Whites. The next 250 miles is definitely going to be the hardest of the entire trail. This is also the part of the trail with the most contradictory information. I've heard that we will not do more than 10 miles a day, and I heard that 17 to 18 mile averages with a few 13 to 15s is probable. I have no idea how to plan for the next sections. I think I will assume I can do minimum 15 mile days. I still hope to be in Maine by the end of the month.










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you; I was wondering where you were...

How does it feel to have gone that far and know that you're almost done?

Anonymous said...

Wow Uncle Rabbit you have gone a long way. You must be really skinny now. I am sure your wolfing skills have improved tremendously.

I just got my test scores in the mail. I passed all three parts of the Ohio Achievement Test. Thanks for the extra help in math.

Can't wait to see you in less than a month!

Love,
Sonic

Anonymous said...

Did you survive the tornado in NH?

Hotdogs said...

Hey Sonic! Way to go on your Ohio Achievement test! That's fantastic!

HM

Joe said...

Mark,

What a crazy trip this has been. I will be in Maine tomorrow, and still know there is plenty that can go wrong.

The trail is not really a hiking trail. I consider hiking an activity that requires the use of your feet and maybe hiking poles. I consider rock climbing to be an activity that requires the use of both feet and both hands, and at heights high enough to injure if you fall. Much of the trail is rock climbing.

The climbs would be easy except I have poles dangling from my wrists, a heavy pack, and the rocks are often very wet and slippery. I still have over a hundred miles of the really dangerous sections of the trail to go. when that is over, I might think about finishing.

Rabbit