Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 83 - NJ Bears (June 30)

I saw two bears this morning on the trail. They ran off before I could play with them. I heard that there are a lot of bears in NJ now. A guy I met near an AT&T tower told me there are so many bears that they are getting in people's garbage.

The trail in NJ is incredibly beautiful. It goes along the Delaware River. You don't see much development. Its actually a much nicer section of the trail than PA.

I'm at High Point shelter tonight. I walked 20 miles. I was thinking of doing 26 to a hostile behind a bar. The terrain is kind of rugged and is very rocky. My feet were starting to hurt from the rocks so I decided to stop early.

I'm camping with Caveman who just found out his Friend, Tender Foot, is off the trail due to an injury. Apparently, Tender Foot slipped going down Calvers Gap and hurt his shoulder. It is so easy to get hurt and be off the trail with one wrong step. I'm grateful for every day I spend on the trail uninjured.

Caveman told me he built a canoe, and canoed from NY state to New Orleans last year to see his daughter. He was going to walk the roads home when he heard about the AT.

No comments: