Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 88 - Telephone Pioneer Shelter (July 5)

I had a very wet night last night. My tent started leaking. Its good that the leaks happened here rather than when the temperature was in the 30s or 40s. I have a down sleeping bag. Down loses its insulating abilities when wet.


The pain in my knee is less today, but I have significant pain in my feet. My shoes need to be replaced. I was able to walk on rocks coming out of Delaware Water Gap. They either wore down or the rubber failed in the last few days. I feel every single rock now almost as if I were bare foot. I should be able to find new shoes in Kent. My feet are in incredible pain right now.

I stopped for a pizza this afternoon. I met several hikers who were at the Hosner Road Fourth of July party. The party was put on by a former thru hiker. It was about 10 miles further than I could go. None of them went to the Telephone Pioneer shelter. I think they all started around March 1st. This is another group I hiked past.

Filadeldia called me. I don't know how I passed him yesterday. He will be going to NYC tomorrow so I will probably not see him again.

I met a trail angel at the RPH shelter. He shuttles people. He was telling me about a guy who made it to MA before quiting this year. This seems like such a long way to go, but when the time to leave the trail is here, one should leave.

My feet really hurt. I can't wait to get new shoes.

No comments: