Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 95 - Tom's House (July 12)


I did about 21 miles today to get into Dalton, after eating 12 pancakes at the Goose Pond Cabin. Flatlander and his wife Mama Lipton were the caretakers who made the pancakes. They seemed to be impressed with my ability to eat pancakes. I told them that their pancakes are the new standard for goodness in the world.

It was a rather nice walk into Dalton. It was not too rocky or marshy, and the mountains were not too steep. I got into Dalton around 2:00 PM. I heard about a guy who owns the Shell gas station and takes in hikers. His last name is Bird so they call his house the Bird Cage. You are supposed to ask at the Shell Gas Station for directions.


I wasn't paying much attention as I walked through a residential neighborhood in Dalton until someone called out to me. I failed to notice about a dozen hikers on Tom's front porch. Tom offered me a place to set up my tent and a shower all for free. I could not pass up that offer.


Tom said he was taking in hikers since 1979. He said he offers what he would want if he was doing the trail. It was really nice hospitality. He even drove me and Pine Knot to the laundry.
I met Top Hat, Snake, and White Fish at the local bar. Later, Pine Knots stopped by. Snake claims to be a boarder line alcoholic. He may not be boarder line at all. I heard them later talking about not being served at another bar because they already had too much to drink. They were driving Tom's bikes to the local bars.


I was talking to a Southbounder today about Maine. It sounds like Maine is going to be hard and slow going.

No comments: