Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 110 - Franconia Ridge (July 27)


I slept in this morning because there was a less than 3 mile hike to Galehead Hut. I was hoping for leftovers from breakfast, which they had. I had to do about 20 minutes of sweeping for breakfast. The guy wearing the kilt was there as was Mouse. I met both yesterday. The guy in the kilt is trying to extend his trail time as long as possible.

The trail from Garfield Ridge campsite was crazy. It went down what looked to be a small waterfall, but was actually the trail. There are places where the trail has a 60 to 70 degree decent or climb. I saw a group of middle aged hikers really struggling yesterday.

A woman on the trail today said that she thinks many people are seriously hurt on the trail. She said she has seen injury reports for the trail, but only injuries requiring rescue are reported. she said there are many heart attacks.

I made it to Zeeland Falls hut for lunch. They had a $3 bottomless bowl of soup, and breads and cakes for $1. All of this was leftovers. I think each hut has different rules, and I might have misread the cost sign. I paid $1 and took lots of bread. I left wondering if they could have meant $1 per piece of bread. The first hut was giving away leftovers because they would have to be thrown out and packed down. I'm not sure if I took more than I paid for or if I helped lighten someone's packout load.

I thought about going to Mizpah hut tonight, but that was a 6 mile hike up several thousand feet. I probably would not have gotten there until 8:00 PM. This would probably be too late for work for stay, and I did not want to pay $90 for the night. I ended up getting a ride to a private campground from a very nice couple (George and Gail) from the Boston area. They were staying at the campground where I decided to resupply in case I do not get work for stay at a hut.

I say my first moose on the way to the campground. I have been following moose prints in the trail for weeks. I kept expecting to see one on the trail. its funny that my first moose sighting was on a highway.

I had a really nice evening with Gail and George, their two sons, and Gail's dad. Gail and George BBQed some steaks and baked potatoes in the fire. Gail said the camp store lady gave her some free steaks when she told her that they invited me over for dinner. What incredible trail magic! We drank beers and talked until 11:30 PM, which is way past my normal sleep time.

Gail and George are photographers. I learned a lot of photography techniques I want to try on the trail. Taking portraits of people at angles, paying attention to natural lines in the landscape, and taking low and high angle shots are all things I will try.

No comments: