Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 96 - Williamstown (July 13)




I did about 23 miles to get into Williamstown this afternoon. I started the day walking with Pine Knot into Cheshire. She used to work doing security background checks on people in Boise, but could not stand it any longer. Now she is on the trail. She started March 21. I think nearly everyone else I've been hiking with started in early March. Pine Nuts and I split up at lunch when I wanted to get lunch in town and she wanted to eat from her food bag to lighten her load.

I need to learn to hitch hike soon. This is one of the last towns were walking is an option. I should have hitched a ride because it was a 2.6 mile walk.

I met Ram (I think that's his name) at the Goat Mountain outfitter. We are camping in the back. Ram is a bicyclist who is going to California to meet his girl friend who is going to school there. Ram has a mechanical engineering degree, but quit his job because he wanted to avoid cube life and the rat race. We drank some beers out back until it started to rain.

I have less than 600 miles to go. If I average 20 miles a day, then this is my last month on the trail. I think it might be kind of hard to do 20 mile days in Maine. My goal is to be in Maine this month. I hear Maine has really crazy trails with ladders built into the rock. I've seen stuff like this already, and I'm not looking forward to more.





2 comments:

pbowyer said...

When you look at the overall map, its hard to believe there could be still 600 miles left. On the map, it looks like you are 80%+ the way down the trail??? The trail must be really non-straigline up there to be that many miles.....

PB

pbowyer said...

You should be a crow; as he flys, you are exactly 305.73 miles from the peak of Katadin Mt. (when standing at Goat Mt outfitters).