Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 106 - Anticipation (July 23)

There is just about 400 miles left. These are supposed to be the toughest and most beautiful miles of the trail. I expect to start the White Mountains tomorrow afternoon. I hope to do at least 15 mile days and be through them in about a week or a little less. Then we do 60 of the hardest miles of the trail.

The trail information on the next 400 miles has been the most contradictory of the entire trail. Some people are saying you can not do them in less than 37 days and other people are saying you can average 17 or 18 mile days (22 days). I have no idea what to believe or how to plan for the remainder of the trip.

I decided that I will continue getting on the trail early, but I will probably not try for anything over 20 miles in a day. I feel good, and want to make sure I do nothing to change that at this time. The only problem I have is some pain and soreness in my left knee. The pain comes and goes. I might not feel anything for several days, and then it comes back. I've been taking vitamin I several times a day as a preventative measure.

I met another very fast hiker yesterday be the name of Pipper. I've been hiking with Mountain Sailor, and I was expecting Pipper to pass us today. He had a foot problem yesterday, and I think that may have slowed him down. He is trying to go as fast as he can so that he can finish as soon as possible, and that might be causing him some problems. I think it is critical to manage pain and injuries if you are going to stay on the trail. It will be interesting to see how someone who is in the sprinting mode at this time will do on the trail. It might work for him. I think its a little too early to start sprinting. He was hiking with his dad earlier on the trail. His dad broke his leg in NY or NJ on the climb after the Lemon Squeezer.

We have been meeting a lot of Southbounders over the last few days. Most have the attitude that they just beat the trail by getting through Maine and the Whites. They have only done about 400 miles. Most will not see Springer. Each section has its own challenges. Each mile is very difficult for very different reasons. The psychological aspect is even more important than the physical.

About 10% of thru hikers start in Maine. I think there are more Southbounders on the trail now than Northbounders.

I'm at Ore Hill shelter listening to the rain. There are three Southbounders sharing the shelter with Mountain Sailor and I. I did not get their names.

No comments: