Thursday, July 31, 2008

Greetings from New Hampshere (July 21)


It was a wet day, but there was no more rain. Everything was wet. The ground was wet, and all of the grass was wet. It did not take long to soak my shoes and shorts. I walked 15 miles with wet feet to Hanover where Mountain Sailor and I are spending the night at the Sunset motel.

It was a very expensive day. I bought my fourth pair of shoes. I got less than 200 miles out of my Keens. I also bought a new rain jacket and a mid weight shirt for the Whites. My current rain jacket was leaking the last few days. I bought cheap rain pants, and cut them off so that they will keep my shorts dry. My camera thinks its in a docking station, and will not take pictures. I bought a new camera too.

Mountain Sailor and I crossed the Connecticut River to enter New Hampshire. We have been getting wildly different information on what to expect next. I'm sure there will be some of the hardest climbs coming up in NH and Maine. Some people say it will be hard to do 10 miles a day, and other say you can do 15 to 20 miles a day depending on terrain.

We met Baltimore Jack in town. I think he lives in Hanover. He did the trail 8 times. Seven were thru hikes he did 7 years in a row. He was on the trail earlier in the year. I met him in a bar in Damascus, but did not know how many times he had previously did the trail.

The last 20% is supposed to be harder than GA, NC, and TN. Looking at the profiles, I agree that there are harder sections, but there are also flatter sections too. The south had nothing resembling a flat section.

I talked to a few section hikers who said they completed Maine averaging 15 miles per day. I suspect I can do it a little faster after walking for the last few months, but I will not know until I get there.

No comments: