Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 84 - Mayor of Unionville (July 1)

I missed staying at the mayor's house last night. I heard that the mayor takes in all AT hikers, gives them dinner, washes their clothes, and even gives them beer. I've heard nothing but good things about the mayor.

Larry at the coffee shop at Culvers Gap is the opposite of the mayor. I knew he was a jerk as soon as I walked in and greeted him. I later asked if I could plug in my phone while I ate food I bought from him. The answer was no. Several other hikers told me about similar bad experiences they had while buying stuff from him. Filladelphia Greenberg told me he heard that a hiker called the cops on Larry for assault, but the local cops would do nothing because Larry was a retired cop. I think law enforcement attracts jerks like Larry.

I've been hiking with Filedelphia Greenbeg today. Filledelphia is a professional actor about a year out of college. It was fun talking to him about theater and film. He is also a playwright.

NJ really is a beautiful state. I saw another bear today. I should be in NY tomorrow, and should cross the Hudson River the day after.

2 comments:

pbowyer said...

Wow...who would have thought you would see the most bears in NJ....that is amazing as bears need "true wilderness" to survive....Looking at G. earth....it appears that the trail through NJ (along the Delaware River) is the southern extent of a rather large, very sparsely populated area that is mainly in PA. But what is also note wothy is the LARGE number of small lakes present (limestone area?)....perhaps it is the more abundant water that supports more large animals (i.e. bears).

Tadpole said...

From my experience with my ex-fiance (who was a deputy) and all of his work buddies, the profession does attract a lot of power-hungry jerks, with the occasional good guy.