Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 109 - Mount Lafayette (July 26)

I did about a 19 mile day to Garfield Ridge campsite from Eliza Brook shelter. The terrain was steep and rugged.

I stopped for breakfast at the Lonesome Lake Hut. They set aside the leftovers for thru hikers who come in after guests leave. I had pancakes, oatmeal, and coffee. The pancakes and oatmeal were cold, but very tasty. The best part was that it was all free.

I met V8, Auntie Mame, and Certain at the hut. They are slack packing the Whites. V8's partner had a medical emergency while they were on the trail so they left the trail in Virginia. Certain had to leave the trail last year when her mom had a medical emergency. She started the trail where she left last year.

V8 has hiked Maine. She said the trail through the Mahoosuc Range is as difficult as the Whites. Maine might get a little easier after the Mahoosucs.

I spent the afternoon on Mount Lafayette, which is part of the Franconia Ridge. This is often described as the most scenic section of the trail. There are way too many really scenic places to pick this as the most scenic. Most of the Southern section of the trail was just as scenic.

I'm staying at Garfield Ridge shelter with a father and son named Singer and Land Surfer. This is a fee area. I had to pay $8 to stay here. There were no other nonpaying options that I could find.

I'm going to try to do a work for stay at a couple huts. I'm not sure what the chances of being turned away are. They want $90 a night at a hut, which is more than I will pay.

No comments: