Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 99 - Stratton Mnt & Birth of AT (July 16)


I started this morning from Story Spring shelter, and made it to Manchester Center before the outfitter closed. I made it to the top of Stratton mountain by early morning. There is an old fire tower on the top of Stratton mountain that is open to the public. If I remember correctly, it was built by the CCC in the early 1930s. The wind made the tower shake, which was a little unnerving. The viiew from the top was absolutely spectacular. Once again, I'm in a very remote and unpopulated part of the country.

Stratton mountain is supposed to be the inspiration for both the AT and the Long Trail. The Long Trail was conceived first in about 1909. It was conceived as a trail that linked the ridges and mountains of Vermont. While it was being built in the early 1920s, someone (Benton McKay?) conceived the idea of linking all of the Appalachian mountains. I don't think work on the AT began until the 1930s.

I'm staying at Sutton place in Manchester Center tonight. If the bathroom scale is correct, my weight is down to about 160 lbs. I was hoping my weight lose had stopped. However, its been a few hundred miles since I last weighed myself so my weight loss might have stablized since PA.

Its a good thing there is a McDonalds in town. You can no longer supersize at McDonalds. Maybe the large is the same as a supersize. I also think you do not get as many calories per dollar at McDonalds as you do at Hardies and Burger King. I can't wait until the time I no longer have to eat this stuff. I already had one large value meal, and I need to go back for a second once my laundary is done.

I spent another 150 dollars at the local outfitter today. My Steripen stopped working yesterday. Monica at Goat Mountain Outfitters spent at least an hour on the phone with the manufacturer to no avail. Normally, the manufacturers do everything in their power to fix problems for thru hikers. This one did not. They can lose a lot of sales by not being responsive. Everyone looks to us for equipment advise. I bought a water filter and had the outfitter send the Steripen home to me.

I also got a new Leki hiking pole for free because a pin in the handle of my pole kept coming out. My down sleeping bag needs to be refluffed do to water coming into my tent. Frank Sutton lent me three tenis balls. I will know soon if this works. If it doesn't work, the White mountains will be cold.

I did my first hitch hiking today. I took a blue blaze trail that got me within walking distance of town. I came out near a tavern, and asked a lady if the road went into Manchester Center. I did, and I asked her if she would be kind enough to give me a ride. She did. She said her husband always wanted to do a thru hike, but is too old (60) and too out of shape. I told her neither should keep him off the trail. I wish I would have given her my email address to give to her husband.

No comments: