Monday, May 12, 2008

Cultural Diversity


I was surprised at some of the cultural differences between the north and the south. I know this is a stereotype, but teeth really are far more of an option here in the south than the north. I was surprised by how many people I've seen with missing teeth. All have been working in convenient type stores at low wages. I just don't see many people with missing teeth in the northern states. Can anyone explain this?

Its hard to know if people are more friendly in the south than the north. Most of the people I've met are hikers or people who work with hikers. Nearly all have been very friendly. The hostile owners have been really great. They have all of the things a hiker needs at a really low cost. However, I've also been to a few libraries and talked to other people. I suspect people may be a little friendlier here than in the north.

Another difference I've noticed seems to be the number of churches. At least in Demascus, church going seems to be a major past time.

8 comments:

Tadpole said...

Spend a little time in Ravenna and you will see a lot of toothless people.

Anonymous said...

Joe, will them thar teeth ever grow back???

Mark

Hotdogs said...

It's because squirrel meat rots your teeth.

Hotdogs said...

Joe, you've really immersed yourself into the culture.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I can't wait until this entry drops down a bit. That picture is disturbing...

Be careful, that center tooth looks a little weak. You might have to start gumming those squirels.

Tadpole said...

You better watch out for any buckshot in your food, you might lose a few more of those teeth.

Anonymous said...

WOW - My big brother with no teeth. Amazing what a month will do to you. Falseys are real cheap in Brazil. You might have to go on another adventure when your done with your first adventure. They also sell grillz at tower city.

Love & take care,

Kitty

Hotdogs said...

Ohhh Grilllzzzz! Yes Joe, get the grillzzzzzzzzzzz.