Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 51 - Zeroing in Troutville or Daleville (May 29)

I'm not exactly sure where I am today. I think I'm in either Troutville or Daleville, Virginia. I'm feeling rested and a lot better today than yesterday. I was really feeling down yesterday. I suppose is was a combination of too many miles, too much time alone, the rain, the fall and broken hiking pole, and my pack that was no longer fitting me.

There was an outfitter in town not too far from the trail and motel. I bought Leki hiking poles for 90 dollars. I'm supposed to be able to go to any place Leki poles are sold for a free replacement if I break one. It will be interesting to see if this is true. With two broken poles already, its likely I will soon find out.

I also found a smaller belt for my pack. My belt was no longer fitting, and it was pulling on my shoulders. In addition, I found another iodine water treatment that doses by temperature. This should reduce the iodine taste.

I met Hiker Dave, Hike On, and Down Hill at the motel today. Hike On talked about hiking thousands of miles with different equipment. He was very knowledgeable about equipment at the outfitter. I'm not sure if he's hiked the AT before. I think Down Hill is his girl friend. I met her before somewhere, but can't remember where.

I have about 95 miles to the Dutch Haus B&B. I'm going to supply for three nights and four days. This might be too many miles per day, but it will be nice to have a lighter pack. I will sacrifice a few extra miles per day for less weight.

I also mailed my fleece jacket and rain pants home today. This should take about 2 pounds off my pack weight. I'm guessing my base pack weight is now about 15 pounds without food and water. I'm thinking that it will be too hot for rain pants. The problem is the bottom of my shorts will get wet.

I haven't been able to talk to Thought Foot yet. I'm hoping he is ok. I really miss having someone to hike with.

Someone told me yesterday that you can tell which animal is looking at you in the dark by the color of reflected light. Can someone look up which color eyes go with each animal?

I think I faced some of the most danger I will likely find on the trail today. I had to walk on some very busy roads with no sidewalks.

I ate lunch at Wendys. I estimated that with two large cokes, my value meal was almost 2,000 calories While this is a perfect lunch for those of us on a 5,000 to 6,000 calorie per day diet, I did not see many value meals for those on a 2,000 calorie per day diet.

I met an older woman at the grocery store who was very interested in my trip. She said she moved here to be near lots of trails. She said she had a bad back, and could not do long trips. She even offered to let me use her shower or help me if I needed something. We talked about the guy who shot the fishers. She said that all of his neighbors told reporters that they were sure he would kill again. She said that there was still no information on how he died in police custody. I can not imagine how this guy got out of prison after only 10 years when he killed two people without reason.

No comments: