Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 36 - Mount Rogers (May 14)


My energy level is very low today. We walked about 18 miles, but it was a real struggle to make it. I had a real low energy level once in the Smokies, but that only lasted a day. This is my second day with very low energy. I'm going to go to sleep early again, and hopefully, I will feel better tomorrow.

We are at the Wise shelter tonight.

We are at Mount Rogers to. This is an incredibly beautiful place. Much of the elevation is over 5,000 feet. There are beautiful balds and open fields with very friendly ponies. Old Buzzard Tonto was feeding the ponies granola and salt. They really craved salt. They were licking the salt from Old Buzzard's pack. I thought they might try to eat his pack.

The first herd of ponies had about five ponies. One was bigger than the others and kept chasing or kicking at the ponies that got too close. The ponies came right up to us. It made me a little nervous when they surrounded us.

I hate to tell Heather that there were not any babies to club. I'm sure she will be very disappointed.

We hiked a few miles with Old Buzzard Tonto. Old Buzzard is a retired school teacher who taught health to inner city kids for about 35 years. Thought Foot told me later that he was warned about hiking with Buzzard by some people at Kincora. He was told hiking with Buzzard is like listening to a book on tape, which was true.

Buzzard was telling us about starting a gang intervention program. He seems to be very passionate about teaching. He was also telling us about how he uses dreams to help the kids. He would tell them since the early 1990s about his dream to hike the trail, and how that dream effected his life. He got the superintendent to agree to let him broadcast messages directly to the class rooms, but the superintendent later reneged so he went to the boys and girls clubs and police department. He might have a blog on the newspaper. He wasn't sure what was happening back home.

Its 7:00 PM and I'm going to go to sleep. I'm hoping I have more energy tomorrow. There is no internet or phone here so I will post this message when I can.

No comments: