Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Uncle Johnny's Hostile

I had a nice stay at Uncle Johnny's hostile in Erwin last night. Met several people who were also at Bald Mountain shelter. Professor was here with his injured ankle. He was camping out in the back. He said that he will try to be back on the trail again today. No sign of Road Rash. I also met Barfight last night who I've seen signing shelter registers. It turns out she is a she. You never know what to expect with trail names. She said she got her name because she is so quite people started saying she is probably a serial killer.

Thought Foot and I will be leaving the hostile as soon as his clothes are dry. We are now expecting about 20 mile days, and are planning our food accordingly. We have several very high climbs today. We are starting out at about 1,700 feet, and have at least one climb to 5,100 feet. The grading of the trail makes all the difference. So many portions are graded very steep. They go straight up and straight down. Those portions are difficult no mater what you do.

My phone is not working here in Erwin. Hopefully, I will have service soon.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Joe....wow what progress you have made! Sounds like your making many friends on the trail. I figured by now that you might start to miss working for Ralph....and of course miss Heather.