Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 47 - Camping Near War Spur Shelter (May 25)

Thought Foot has really bad shin splints that might take him off the trail for a few days. His right shin seems to really bother him after long days. There is a road in 6 miles that he will try to make tomorrow. I'm not sure what's going to happen with his shin. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

I'm feeling really good, and would not have any problem with consistent 25 mile days. I enjoy getting up early, and being on the trail by 6:30 AM. I've heard this time described as the magic hour. Lots of animals are out. I saw a buck with antlers just starting to grow this morning. He did not seem to be too afraid of me.

The morning was incredibly beautiful. There was a haze very low to the ground in the valleys. The sun reflected off the haze. I took a lot of pictures.

I met Mustang Sally, Enoch, Moccasins, and KBomb at the shelter after the Rice Field shelter. This shelter had its roof blown off by winds. There was some wood nearby so it looked like the shelter would be repaired soon. This was another stone shelter that was a memorial to Robert Trimpi. The last shelter near Mount Rogers said something about it being built by his friends. He died in 1969 at the age of 18.

I decided to stop before the War Spur shelter. I had a feeling Thought Foot might be having shin problems. There are few water sources in VA. This camp site had a good spring that is close by. The water source for the shelter last night was about 0.4 miles from the shelter and it was downhill and it was not flowing very fast.

Mustang Sally is here with us tonight. She is a former nurse. My guess is that she is in her late 50s. She said she is tired of nursing, and is considering long hull trucking.

Once again I have no phone or internet service. I'm surprised at how remote nearly all of the trail has been. I will post when I have a signal.







No comments: