Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day 38 - Half Zero (May 16)


Thought Foot and I did a 10 mile half day to the Mount Rogers visitor center to wait for Heather. I had the chills all night. I could not figure out if they were the result of damp cool temperatures or something else. W and Vigil Auntie gave me some vitamins in the morning. My energy level was fairly good today. I did the 10 miles in about 3.5 hours.

I took a cold shower at the Partner shelter outside of the visitor center. Then I drank three 20 ounce cokes and ordered a pizza. I was not able to eat much of the pizza, and gave a few pieces to Loon. I read the "real" story of Smoky the Bear at the visitor center. Thought Food said that it really actually wasn't the "real" story. He said that Smoky is a corporate creation to protect timber for industry. Smoky's message was to prevent forest fires so that his friends will have a place to live and there will be timber to build you a new house. Well, it seems that Smoky's two goals are mutually exclusive.

Heather arrived around 2:30 PM. We had to take Thought Foot to Damascus. There were zero non-thru hikers at the visitor center so there was no way for him to hitch a ride to Damascus. This surprised me because the Mount Rogers area is so incredibly beautiful, and the visitor center is new and modern.

I later bought a thermometer, and took my temperature. I had a temperature of 102.7. It later went up to 102.8 during the night. This explains some of my problems. I could not figure out if the chills were me being overly sensitive to the damp weather or something else. It looks like I have something. This is the fourth day. The strange thing is I don't feel anything except chills, periodic low energy, some achiness in my knees, and a slight head ache. I hiked 65 miles in three and a half days with these symptoms.

No comments: